Saturday, June 16, 2012

PAVAKKA THEEYAL




I was away from home for almost 2 months and those lazy days made it difficult to start blogging again. 2 days ago I met one of my forum friends online and he asked why there were no new posts in my blog. I promised him I would  post new recipes soon and decided to start with  theeyal if I could get bittergourd. I got a box from Lulu last week at very cheap rate. It turned out to be the same white bitter gourd we get in Kerala and the theeyal made with it was excellent.

INGREDIENTS

1. Pavakka/parikka/kaipakka/bitter gourd cut into 1"pieces - 1 cup (if it is too bitter keep the  pieces in salt water and squeeze before adding to the curry)
2. Tamarind extract - 1/4 cup
3. Grated coconut - 1 cup
4. Small onions cut - 1/4 cup
5. Split green chillis - 3
6. Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
7. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon
8. Corriander powder - 1 table spoon
9. Chilli powder - 1 tea spoon
10. Coconut oil - 3 table spoon
11. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
12. Salt

PREPARATION

1. Fry coconut in 2 table spoon oil till it is dark brown. Switch off stove and add turmeric powder, corriander powder and chilli powder and mix well. Grind to a fine paste.

2. Heat 1 table spoon oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add onion, chillis and curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes. Add bitter gourd and saute again till cooked.

3. Add tamarind extract and cook for 3-4 minutes.

4. Add coconut paste and salt and cook again till a layer of oil settles above.






No comments:

Post a Comment