Wednesday, October 12, 2011

MOLAKAI (CHILLI) BAJJI



My right hand still bears an L shaped scar which is the result of a severe burn I got while making molakai bajji for the first time. It was just after our marriage and I was trying to impress my husband with my culinary expertise (to be frank I had no idea about Palakkad Iyer cooking. I hadnt even seen a bajji molakai before.) My husband helped me with the batter and  filling Then one of his friends came and I was left alone with the frying part. I was confident after making the first batch and happily  started frying  the second While I was putting one bajji in the oil another one burst and I dropped the one in my hand. Hot oil was all over my hand and it took almost a week for the burns to cure.

Bajji can be made with a number of vegetables like brinjal, plantain (monthan kaaya), onion etc.

INGREDIENTS

1. Bajji molakai 5-6
2. Dosa batter - 2 table spoon
(if dosa batter is not available use 2 table spoon rice flour and a pinch of baking soda)
3. Besan (chick peas flour or kadalamavu) - 1 cup
4. Chili powder - 1 tea spoon
5. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon
6. Asafoetida (perumkaayam) - 1 pich
7. Salt
8. Tamarind - 1 table spoon
9. Jaggery - 2 table spoon
10. Oil

PREPARATION

1. Mix the basan, dosa maavu, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida and enough water to make a thick batter . Keep it for 4-5 hours. (If you are using baking soda the batter can be used fresh)

2. Mix the tamarind, jaggery and 1/2 tea spoon salt. Divide this into 5-6 equal parts.

3. Wash and wipe the chilis dry. Make a small slit on the chili with a knife. (If the chili is big make 2 slits) Take 1 portion of the tamarind mix and push it into the chili through the slit. Repeat for all the chillis.

4. Heat oil in a pan. Coat the chillis with the batter and deep fry (till golden brown) flipping in between.




No comments:

Post a Comment